Trauma Informed Coaching for Teachers
Meet the Shape Your Life coaches by watching the video above.
- How are SYL boxing coaches different than a traditional boxing coach?
SYL uses a trauma-informed approach which takes into account the lasting effects trauma in the lives of participants. Trauma and violence-informed boxing is participant-centered and is built on knowledge about the impact of violence and trauma on people’s lives and health. We run SYL in a way that integrates this knowledge into all aspects of the boxing program in ways that foster participants’ safety, respect and empowerment.
Link to video of SYL Director, Dr. Cathy van Ingen https://youtu.be/Z2UdtKx97cA
- What is trauma-informed coaching?
- Is all trauma the same? Why or why not?
- SHARE something you learned about trauma-informed coaching with your preferred social network & include this link: How is SYL trauma and violence informed?
Trauma-Informed Coaching Example:
**Video about artwork completed on gym canvas??**
Bound to Be Brave- Rebel
Portrait of Self- Zana
- Artwork above was completed by members of SYL. Why might engaging in creativity be helpful for healing?
- What comes to mind when viewing the artwork above?
- How might you incorporate creativity/physical movement throughout your career?
Now, use your own creativity to design a poster, poem, collage, power point, flyer, post card, video, skit, digital collage (or any other creative options you can think of!) to share what you have learned from completing SYL Education!
Share your final project with teachers, peers, friends, family, colleagues, community and social media!
Final Project Examples:
Please watch the video in the top right. STUDENT NAME: