Gender Based Violence for Teachers
Provide students with website links and info graphics below...
Info graphic displaying latest statistics from the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010-2012
Questions to consider for open discussion, partner work or short answer response.
Which data point on this info graphic impacts you the most? Why?
What are the reasons most family violence does not get reported to the police?
(Allow 20 minutes to review links and graphics and 15 minutes for questions)
Invite students to watch and listen to the Shape Me- Nari video above (right). This song was created by based on the words and experiences shared by the SYL participants. After watching the video, students may have an open discussion regarding the thoughts that came up or students may engage in a free write.
Topic ideas for the discussion or free write could be:
- What lyrics most impacted you? Why?
- What emotions did you feel while watching/listening?
- Throughout the SYL education steps/modules, there are various forms of expression to encourage healing... such as movement, art and music. What other forms of expression which may encourage healing can you think of?
Ask students to think about violence within their own school or community. Students may answer questions in partners or short response. Students will then create a PSA and are invited to share with others.
If you or someone you know in your school or community was experiencing violence....
- Where could you go on your campus or school to seek help?
- Make a list of resources and share them with your classmates or friends.
- PSA: Create a public service announcement (video, tweet, picture) about your communities resources and SHARE with your twitter/facebook/instagram friends.
(Allow 10 minutes for the music video and discussion/free write, 20 minutes for questions 1 & 2 and 30 minutes to create the PSA)
Invite students to watch video above and then answer the questions below. Students may then complete the activity which use's info graphics from step 1.
Watch the video of Shape Your Life boxing (above left).
- How was Deya able to keep her abuse hidden?
- Why does Deya think this kind of abuse can happen to anyone?
- What specific parts of Shape Your Life helped Deya?
Use the info graphics in Step One to answer the following questions:
- What are the prevalence data for sexual violence in your community?
- Trans people
- People with disabilities
- Minority groups
- How does your community data compare to the national data?
- Post your community location on the Shape Your Life learning map Map for sharing
(Please allow 10 minutes to watch the video and answer the questions relating to it and 20 minutes to answer the prevalence questions)
If You Need Help Now
Provide the following links for students to access if they are in currently in need of help.
Follow the links below if you need help NOW.
How to access help with gendered violence - these links bring you to sites for immediate help.
This section can be quickly reviewed or talked about in open discussion. Students may have questions about a friend or family member in need of help. Be prepared to provide support as assistance. This step should be covered on the same day that SYL Education is first discussed)
(Allow 5-20 minutes)